My conservative principles:
I stand by the Constitutional freedoms and liberties that our founding fathers laid out, the newly adopted 2016 Republican Party Platform, as well as our Weld County’s common-sense Conservative values:
- The natural right to life of the unborn.
- Energy development – Oil and Gas are the life blood for Weld County’s economic workforce.
- Right to Work – I believe no one should be compelled to pay union dues to get or keep a job.
- Free Enterprise – We need an even playing field with less government regulation and low taxes.
- Private property rights – government should not take your property through force or coercion.
- No entitlements for illegal immigrants – Illegal immigration is exactly that, illegal.
- Natural marriage is between one man and one woman.
- The Second Amendment – The right to keep and bear arms is more than just a privilege, it’s a natural right.
- Personal liberty – the erosion of our Fourth Amendment rights is unacceptable.
- School choice and academic freedom – I’m a strong supporter of competition in education and of assuring that public schools and academic institutions stop discriminating against parents and students of faith.
- Local control – the Ninth and Tenth Amendments are a check by the States and the People against a run-a-way Federal government. Colorado should stand-up to Federal overreaches, and Weld County knows how to manage it’s resources better than bureaucrats in Washington or Denver.
Below you will find my pledges and commitments made the year I was first elected to serve in the House, during the 2012 election cycle. The voters expected me to do what I said. You can check out my voting record at the Principles of Liberty website.
I promise to continue fighting for these conservative principles and values in the upcoming legislative session, and, with your support, for another two years after that.
Steve’s Solid Conservative Voting Record…
Steve kept his promises. He is actually doing what he said he would do. He has established an outstanding track record as a principled conservative in the Colorado House:
- Principles of Liberty – Steve earned an “A+” rating and was recognized at the Western Conservative Summit with a Principles of Liberty Award (see ratings and video of awards on the POL website). Steve is committed to fighting for the core principles of conservatism.
- CUT Champion – The Colorado Union of Taxpayers congratulated Steve on his 96.77% 2016 rating and named him House Champion for his efforts to best represent the taxpayer’s interests!
- Champion for Life – Recognized as a “Champion for Life” for his consistent and heroic pro-life efforts — going head to head with hard core Planned Parenthood Democrats– during each legislative session (Campaign for Life). Steve agrees with CCFL’s philosophy: 1) Both scientific evidence and common sense convince us that life does actually begin at conception. 2) We agree that it is morally wrong to take an innocent human life. 3) It is clear that abortion does in fact take an innocent human life. 4) Therefore, committing abortion if wrong. No truly great nation can legally sanction and encourage this practice.
- Champion for Energy – Steve voted NO on all the wrong-headed and unnecessary Democrat oil & gas bills that would simply kill jobs, raise rates for rural Colorado, increase costs/prices, and eventually actually drive this key industry from our state.
- 100% Pro-Gun – Steve votes NO on every anti-gun bill and fights against unconstitutional gun-control every step of the way.
- Colorado Union of Tax Payers (2012)
I’m proud to have signed the Colorado Union of Tax Payers Pledge to never raise taxes and to keep government in its proper limited role.
- Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (2012)
The Second Amendment recognizes our God-given individual right to gun ownership and self-defense. I am 100% pro-gun. This survey from Colorado’s leading gun rights organization will tell you more about my positions on Colorado-specific gun rights legislation.
- Colorado for Family Values (2012)
Faith and family from the cornerstone of why I am running. Protecting the unborn, supporting marriage between one man and one woman, and letting people keep their hard-earned money for themselves and their family are bedrock principles I will not compromise on.
- National Right to Work (2012)
I am proud to have answered the National Right to Work state survey 100%. No person should ever be forced to pay dues to a union as a condition of employment.
- National Rifle Association (2012)
The NRA also has asked several very important questions on our gun-rights and our right to hunt which I fully support. I believe in a no-compromise legislative strategy to protect and restore our right to keep and bear arms.